Saturday, May 26, 2007

The End-of-the-Year Sprint

Oh my goodness, I've had some busy, action packed days! May 17th marked the end of classes as well as my seminary's graduation. People flew in from their internship sites all over the country to graduate. It was great to see everyone. So many amazing people have come through my seminary, and I wanted to spend a week with all of them.

Graduation was also a chance to see my classmates as real, bona fide ministers. Everyone who graduates gets a Master of Divinity hood and then goes up to the pulpit to speak. Even though they only have two minutes, I'm constantly amazed at how beautifully and poignantly people speak. My classmates are the kind of people who give me hope in humanity.

The graduation was quickly followed by my friend Lisa's ordination the next day. The ordination was taking place in my home congregation, and I wanted to join my colleagues by robing and processing with the rest of the ministers and seminarians.

Through a series of events (including lots to do at work and unexpected amounts of traffic), I was running late. As I drove into the church parking lot, the ministers and seminarians were all in their robes and lined up waiting to process into the church. Realizing that I still had a chance to make it, I threw everything except for my car keys and my ministerial robes into the trunk and tried to start running.

I'm not much of a runner to begin with (I usually only run when chased), and the addition of the dress heels I was wearing made me realize I would never get there in time. I knew there was only one thing to do. I kicked off the heels and picked them up, threw the robe over my arm, and I ran. I ran through the parking lot, past the children's chapel, weaved around the religious education building, and up onto the patio. As I arrived out of breath and barefoot, Lisa, who was about to be ordained, looked at me in a seemingly serene way and said calmly, "Wow, you have such good timing."

As I caught my breath and pulled on my shoes and robe, I realized that all the ministers and seminarians down the line were smiling, totally amused at my arrival.

Saturday, I attended my friend Natalya's graduation. I met Natalya in a Religion and Film class at the Baptist seminary, and we became fast friends. She's one of those people who just lights up a room, and it was great to see her graduate. In addition to being a generally fabulous person, the girl can preach.

On Sunday, I preached at church and attended a church dinner. On Monday, I had to work and go to a church meeting.

By the end of the long weekend, everyone was exhausted. Even the most extroverted of my seminary friends were running on empty. It was the end of a sprint, and we were all showing signs of fatigue.


I've spent today relaxing. After all the hullabaloo of the last few weeks, I decided I needed to be introverted today. I watched the movie The Good Shepherd about the beginning of the CIA, a few episodes of the British comedy Coupling, and cuddled with my cats and the dog. Today has been a good day.

The top picture is of my roommate Leon and my former roommate (who graduated) Barb. The next picture is of me and my old roommate Justin (who did not graduate, but probably will next year). Below that is a picture of me and my good friends John (who graduated) and his wife Kit. They keep declaring they want to adopt me. Below that picture is Natalya and I at the Baptist seminary graduation. Finally, my roommates Leon and Elizabeth and former roommate Justin wait, exhausted, in the subway station.

http://www.workers.org/2007/us/berkeley-0531/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so it was a little bit of a surprise to see my picture loaded at the top of the page, but WOOHOO!!! We all made it through the sprint. Glad you're getting some rest - it was fabulous to see you and all the other peops! Much love, B