Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Eek, What a Busy Summer!

I had this sort of dream summer planned out. I was going to work part-time (10-15 hours a week), read some good books, and take a few trips to visit friends and family. It was going to be a peaceful time, full of introspection, sleeping in, and getting more involved in what really mattered to me rather than with endless amounts of homework and data entry for my job. It seems a distant dream now...

My reality has been more, well, real. After an unexpected resignation from my boss and mentor in June, I was spending 10 hours a day at my job trying to finish my own work as well as get a handle on hers. Did I ever mention I want to be a minister and not the Annual Funds Director at a small seminary?? In case I didn't, I never, under any circumstances, in any form or fashion, want to be solely responsible for managing hundreds of thousands of dollars of credit card, check, cash, and stock donations to a non-profit organization. Furthermore, endless conversations about how to make our computer programs talk to our consortium's computer programs using a complicated system of fund coding and FTTPing the csv file is at best bothersome and at worst the 10th ring of Hell.

That being said, I have read some great books this summer! If you've never read it, I highly recommend Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear. It takes place tens of thousands of years ago when Neanderthals (a human cousin of the people we evolved from) and the Cro-Magnon people (our ancestors) both walked the earth at the same time. A 5 year-old Cro-Magnon girl's family dies in an earthquake, and she is left to fend for herself. Luckily, she is picked up and raised by a Neanderthal tribe. Jean Auel's careful research about the plants, animals, lifestyles, and the physical capabilities of different bodies is very evident. I highly recommend this book. Also, because it's so famous and popular, most public libraries have it. YAY for free book borrowing!

I am also in the midst of Harry Potter. It is so good. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through the book. I'm simultaneously unable to stop reading and wanting to make it last longer. My friend Justin (see picture in previous post) and I are both in the same place in the book, and we have been systematically avoiding people who are finished and want to tell us the ending. In the words of Justin, normally quite a peaceful man, "If anyone gives away the ending of Harry Potter to me, I'm going to go Blast-Ended Skrewt on their ass!" Justin has such a way with words.

That's all for now. More updates to come. :)

No comments: