Wednesday, August 8, 2007

My New Favorite Phrase

I've found myself using the same phrase over and over again lately. It's not a new phrase, or a particularly exciting one. Rather, it's an expression of frustration using words that are not directly blaming one individual. The phrase is, "I find that problematic."

This phrase has really come in handy a lot lately. For example, it was very useful when my boss called me all in a tizzy saying she hadn't yet received documentation for all the transactions done in September, October, and November of 2007. My initial reply was, "it's August." Not immediately comprehending, she said, "I know." I replied, "No, it's August of 2007--September, October, and November of 2007 haven't happened yet." When two accountants and a vice president don't notice that they're getting all hot and bothered about documentation for fictional transactions, and it takes a lowly student worker to point this out, I say, "I find this problematic."

The great thing about this phrase is that it's not, "I find you problematic" (although I'm sure that's a useful phrase as well). It's not a mean phrase or a phrase that shocks. It is understated yet clear. "I find this problematic" just has so many fine qualities.

The good news is I'll be starting a new job soon. While I'm sure I'll have my share of frustrations there, it will give me a fresh start and new skills to learn. It might even be quite some time before I find anything in particular problematic.

Has anyone else needed to use this phrase recently?

No comments: