Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why the Doctors Have a Seperate Cafeteria

When I arrived at this hospital back in September, I was disappointed that the doctors at the hospital had a separate dining room. They would head off into their cubbyhole, away from all the "little people" (my words, not theirs).

However, I have since learned why it is good and even necessary that they have their own lunch room. Namely, they talk about really disgusting things like it's nothing. Take for example this little gem that I got to hear about while riding in an elevator with two surgical residents (f.y.i., the tibia is one of the leg bones):

"The tibia was completely exposed and subsequently was transected utilizing a hand-held saw. The anterior surface of the tibia was then beveled and filed."

All I have to say to that is "EEEEEWWWWWW!!!!"

Working in a hospital has helped me realize that anybody who has had to dissect human corpses is bound to be socially awkward on some level.

I hope everyone is doing well, and that your tibias never need to be beveled.

No comments: